7 Tips for Launching a Powerful Peer-to-Peer Fundraising Campaign
WRITTEN BY CHRISTY NOEL
If you are a nonprofit professional, chances are you’ve heard of crowdfunding or the practice of funding a project from many small contributions. Today, more nonprofits are embracing a different form of crowdfunding: peer-to-peer fundraising or the practice of leveraging supporters to fundraise on the nonprofit’s behalf, typically through online platforms such as personal blogs and social media. Peer-to-peer fundraising has become so successful, giving from these types of campaigns is estimated to comprise 18% of all digital donations, according to the Chronicle of Philanthropy.
Peer-to-peer fundraising works well because it empowers a nonprofit’s most passionate supporters to become digital ambassadors on the nonprofit’s behalf. In fact, the average digital ambassador of a peer-to-peer fundraising campaign raises $612 dollars from a total of 8 donors, six of which are new to the nonprofit! Through peer-to-peer crowdfunding, nonprofits are using the power of their supporters’ personal networks to exceed existing fundraising goals.
By following these seven steps to launch your nonprofit’s first peer-to-peer fundraising campaign, you’ll be en route to harnessing the power of supporters and exceeding your own fundraising goals:
1. Recruit Digital Ambassadors
Be sure to recruit your most passionate supporters to participate in your peer-to-peer fundraising campaign. Since this type of campaign takes place online, it’s crucial to invite fundraisers through your online channels. Make it easy for supporters to sign up and become digital ambassadors by using an embedded form on your website or through a text in keyword.
2. Empower Digital Ambassadors
Every successful peer-to-peer fundraising campaign empowers its digital ambassadors to create a fundraising landing page of their own. Encourage digital ambassadors to upload their own photo, personalized message, fundraising goal, and text-to-donate keyword. Individual landing pages such as these allows your nonprofit to track donations from each digital ambassador.
3. Educate Digital Ambassadors
Never assume your digital ambassadors know how to ask for donations, even from friends and family. It’s important to educate them on how to effectively ask for donations from their personal networks on behalf of your organization. Provide them with guidance and sample asks that showcase your mission and organization.
Would you like to learn more about how MobileCause can help you set up a peer-to-peer campaign for your organization?
4. Give Them the Right Communication Tools
Help digital ambassadors craft their personalized messages and posts for their fundraising page using the psychological motivators that inspire people to make donations:
- Storytelling: Storytelling connects donors to the organization through a powerful narrative and testimonial.
- Social Pressure: Peer pressure can also work towards positive outcomes! Individuals will be more compelled to donate, volunteer, or participate when they see family members doing the same.
- Impact: Impact statements help donors visualize how their donations will help your cause and will make them more likely to give. Ask digital ambassadors to include impact statements on their peer-to-peer crowdfunding page, such as metrics on what a $25 donation will achieve, $100, $1000 and more.
- Empathy: Provide digital ambassadors with compelling videos, images, or written stories they can include on their individual peer-to-peer landing pages.
- Urgency – Just like marketing for a for profit business, nonprofits can also use urgency as a marketing tactic. A sense of urgency can compel people to participate, volunteer, donate, or become a fundraiser if they believe they have a deadline.
5. Celebrate Individual &
Each individual contribution from a donor should be reflected on both the digital ambassador’s dedicated donation page, as well as your nonprofit’s main crowdfunding page, showcasing the collective impact of fundraisers’ individual efforts. This helps create a successful peer-to-peer fundraising campaign that builds momentum as donations continue coming in.
6. Identify a Leader
Identify a leader within your organization who can lead ongoing in-person and recorded training sessions for digital ambassadors. A leader will instill confidence in digital ambassadors and can even encourage a bit of friendly competition amongst team members.
7. Keep the Momentum Going
Show digital ambassadors the impact of each individual dollar contributed. Photos, videos, and messages are great ways to capture and demonstrate the positive results of digital ambassadors’ fundraising efforts. Remember digital ambassadors that feel appreciated are much more likely to participate again and keep spreading the word of your good work!
For more peer-to-peer crowdfunding how-tos and best practices download our infographic – Crack the Crowdfunding Code Infographic. This resource offers a quick reference guide to effective strategies for growing your nonprofit’s mission through peer-to-peer fundraising.
VP, Digital Fundraising Services
Our goal at MobileCause is to help nonprofit organizations create and manage successful digital fundraising campaigns, raise more money and retain donors longer. Request a free demo with one of our fundraising experts to learn, step by step, how MobileCause can simply help set up your campaigns while transforming your results.
Did you like this post? Never miss a beat on fundraising tips and trends by subscribing to our blog.